ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TS3500 PROBLEM

2010-06-06 22:42:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TS3500 PROBLEM
From: Fred Johanson <Fred AT UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 21:41:05 -0500
John, Rick, Wnda, Nick, et al.

Thanks for your input.  In the past we've dismantled the whole tape system
whenever we've made a library or drive update.  The SAN consultant who's been
hanging around all spring says not necessary, but it's on the schedule for our
next maintenance period on Wednesday.  So is the powercycle recommended by the
CE  SANDISCOVERY, the favored culprit of Support, is turned off on all
instances.  Our next CritSit conference with IBM is scheduled for Tuesday.

What I've seen since last Wednesday is 200 + failed tape mounts; dozens of
drive open errors on 4 of the 6 instances, not always the same drive; and
dozens of failed maintenance schedules, some of which have been restarted a
dozen times to get thru maintenance.

Support seems fixated on SANDISCOVERY, but the real problem certainly seems to
be the Reservation Conflict.  Maybe they will come to that conclusion before
our conference.  I still lean towards AIX andhardware.  We'll know more Tuesday.

I'll let you know what's happening.