ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] emails blocked

2010-05-20 07:48:15
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] emails blocked
From: Nick Laflamme <dplaflamme AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 06:46:34 -0500
On May 20, 2010, at 12:08 AM, Sam Wozniak wrote:

> Your email filtering settings are set too stringent.  You changed my life and
> I will no longer be a participant of the adsm mailing list.  I bet this email
> also gets blocked according to your wonderful filtering and banning settings.
>  Nazis...

I'm not in any way responsible for ADSM-L or its routine operations, but
fifteen or twenty years ago, I ran mailing lists just like ADSM-L, using
(presumably earlier versions of) the same software.

Dude, chill!

Lists run by LISTSERV daemons have fairly simple safeguards in place to guard
against mailing loops. Lists can also have in place restrictions about who can
send to the list -- and the daemons have no idea about which e-mail addresses
are really the same person, so I have to remember if I'm subscribed as nick AT
laflamme DOT us, dplaflamme AT gmail DOT com, or some other address. But after
that, I have never seen any indication that LISTSERV AT vm.marist DOT edu is
tied into spam filters. I'm pretty sure that any messages you're getting about
possibly being spam are coming from mail systems with subscribers to ADSM-L,
not from listserv AT vm.marist DOT edu. I also never have heard of the list
owners banning anyone. I'm not saying they haven't, but they haven't banned you
if I could read your note.

Your messages made it to the list, even this message. As for what happened as
it reached other mail systems, that's annoying, but lots of people apparently
think the benefits of there being a list, and participating on it, are worth
it.

If you're going to leave the list, at least make sure it's for the right
reasons, and the reasons you imply above seem like fallacies to me.

Just a thought,
Nick