ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] time needed to upgrade to tsm 6.x?

2010-05-20 00:43:02
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] time needed to upgrade to tsm 6.x?
From: Sam Wozniak <Sam.Wozniak AT CDW DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 23:41:10 -0500
The one 5.5 to 6.1 upgrade I performed involved a 100GB DB of which ~70GB was
used.  It took ~24 hrs to complete using the network method (Which wasn't the
bottleneck - Over a 1GB network - the new TSM server had 16GB RAM and something
like a sick 8 CPU dual core count).  I could see that it wasn't the network
transfer that was the bottleneck from the monitor.  The worst part was that we
were left in the dark as to when the estimated completion time was.

The most time consuming part of the upgrade was the DB2 insertion process.  I
even opened up a call with IBM to see what the estimated time would be but they
couldn't offer any estimates and couldn't provide the most efficient method for
the upgrade.  Very painful outage (with the network method) and if that's the
migration choice, it's a possibility, I would recommend backing up the clients
to a new, beefier TSM server as the resource requirements have drastically
increased with 6.x and DB2 (shudder when mentioning db2..).  Yeah, we also had
to go through the situation where DB2 ate itself out of log space due to its
damn reorg, but we fixed that.  Wanda's recommendation about the 2GB dummy file
is very wise.  Luckily it was all on expandable SAN storage.

But on a positive note, the new TSM server did provide some increased
performance with 6.1 and the client was happy.  I still had to implement the
change to disable the DB reorganization because it was eating up 500MB of log
space every 10 minutes.

I'm glad that I'm getting out of the TSM business (if they let me!).  I hear
CommVault is making positive moves...

Well, off from my rant.  Just wanted to share my experience.  I'm sure others
have had more positive experiences and if they're joyous, they'll point out my
fallacies.

Sorry for all the tangents...