ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] ndmp going to tape instead of disk

2010-05-14 11:31:59
Subject: [ADSM-L] ndmp going to tape instead of disk
From: "c.hanover" <chanover AT UMICH DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 11:29:57 -0400
Our setup:
TSM 5.4.1.2 Server on Linux, a 19TB disk pool dedicated to the management class
for the NAS node. The disk pool is largely made up of 1.8TB volumes on a RAID5,
the maxfilesize is set to 'nolimit', highmig=100, lowmig=99.  The NAS is a
BlueArc, according to the trace:
NAS Vendorname:     BlueArc Corp.
Productname:    Silicon Server NDMP.
Revisionnumber: 6.1.
Hosttype:    BOS.
Versionnumber: 6.1.

The filesystem in question:
fsName=/__VOLUME__/cifpilot1, fsType=WFS, fsId=2, fsCap=10Tb, fsOcc=8650Gb

When I perform a backup of that filesystem (backup node XXXXXXXXXXXXX.umich.edu
/__VOLUME__/cifpilot1 toc=yes mode=diff), rather than go to the empty disk
pool, it immediately goes to tape.  This is causing a problem because the job
is getting preempted when the scheduled migrations occur on the other servers
at 7am.  Other smaller filesystems (0.4 and 5TB, respectively) backup to disk
just fine.
I've moved the backup as early as I could to try and get it to complete before
migrations, but that's not working anymore.  I need to figure out why this
backup is going to tape rather than to disk.

Anybody have any ideas?

-
Cameron Hanover
chanover AT umich DOT edu

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is the
argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
--William Pitt, House of Commons, 11/18/1783