ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] disk / file pool on SAN without SANergy or GPFS?

2010-05-06 12:10:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] disk / file pool on SAN without SANergy or GPFS?
From: Robert Clark <robert.clark7 AT USBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 08:51:51 -0700
SANergy, SAN-FS, SVC...Some products IBM brings to market are hits, some
aren't.

The two aggrivations we had with SANergy (and I'm not talking about my
current employer) were that it required a Windows host for CIFS, and a
UNIX host for NFS. (I think Solaris was the preferred UNIX at the time for
SANergy.)

The second aggrivation was that it didn't perform well enough to be worth
the trouble, at least in our tests.

I think these days, if you have a NFS/CIFS or iSCSI target to back up to,
you create one or more disk storage pools on it and have one or more TSM
server instances handle keeping track of who is using what.

[RC]