ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] IBM Fix Central - needs fixing

2010-04-29 11:39:07
Subject: [ADSM-L] IBM Fix Central - needs fixing
From: David McClelland <tsm AT NETWORKC.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:37:42 +0100
Grr.

Sorry if this has already popped up on here - looks like
ftp.software.ibm.com, or at least part of it, is disappearing >
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/devdrvr/FTPSITE_IS_SUNSET.html

Unfortunately, the IBM Fix Central site -
http://www-933.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/ - that I get pointed to instead
is extremely clunky to say the least. In fact, it's completely failed to
work. I'm trying to get the latest Linux tape device drivers for a SAN
Storage Agent install, and rather than a quick trip to the FTP site I'm
herded around an overly complex driver download site and after being asked
to wait for 5 minutes while it 'services my request' eventually it spews out
a Java error (for all you error code fans: "Gen.OperationFailed WSWS3713E:
Connection to the remote host 9.17.201.116 failed. Received the following
error: java.net.SocketException: There is no error" - particularly love that
last bit).

Never had problems like this with the good old FTP site. Nice 'improvement'
IBM, that's 20 minutes of my day I'm not going to get back. I've since found
that if I hunt around they *are* still in the FTP site under the 'archive'
tree, but not for much longer apparently.

Grr.

/David 'hates change' McClelland

London, UK. Grumpy.