ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Trouble backing up large directory tree

2010-04-28 04:29:40
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Trouble backing up large directory tree
From: km <km AT GROGG DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 10:08:55 +0200
Snapshots/image backups?

Don't think about the backup, think about the restore RTO/RPO.

What kind of restore scenarios do you have, how much data (in time) can you
afford to lose and what is your acceptable restore time?

Will you ever need to restore individual files? I'm not familiar with
Blackboard but if you don't then the fastest way back would be a snapshot,
either in LVM or hardware, or a Windows image backup.

Depending on the application then it might even be that you need to do it this
way to get a consistent backup and keep metadata/filedata in sync.

-km