ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Disk pools on ZFS

2010-04-23 03:06:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Disk pools on ZFS
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 08:39:23 +0200
On 22 apr 2010, at 10:48, Steven Harris wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Conventional wisdom is that for TSM on Solaris, raw volumes are the way
> to go.  I have 4 Sun X4540 servers each with 64GB of memory and 48x1TB
> internal SATA disks.  The whole disk farm is one big ZFS zpool.  TSM DB
> and Log are on external fast SAN disk.
>
> So far I've been using sequential file pools, but feel the need for some
> disk pools for windows directories and MSSQL Metadata.  Is ZFS still as
> inefficient as UFS was for this purpose?

I don't really know about ZFS, on AIX JFS was found unsuitable for anything to
do with TSM, now we have JFS2, which is so much better that you barely notice
the difference between files on JFS2 or RAW volumes. I'd imagine that on
Solaris, the evolution on filesystems kept up and that ZFS will do very well. I
see no reason not to use ZFS for DISK type volumes. Your box has plenty of disk
to share the load....

--

Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind regards,

Remco Post