ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tivoli newbie

2010-04-23 03:05:16
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tivoli newbie
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 08:34:15 +0200
On 22 apr 2010, at 18:33, Allen S. Rout wrote:

>>> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:26:05 -0500, Dana Holland <dana.holland AT
>>> NAVARROCOLLEGE DOT EDU> said:
>

>> Thanks - we're going to upgrade the RAM to 16gb.  But it sounds like I
>> don't need to worry about upgrading the processors.

no you don't. TSM is rarely CPU bound. In larger environments it might become
so. 16 GB of RAM should be plenty.

>> I didn't realize that it was going to require Websphere.  Is this part
>> of the Tivoli installation, or will I have to purchase that component
>> separately?

It's part of the admin center, which you want to use while you learn to work
with the command line. I still prefer to open a UNIX shell and run dsmadmc to
to real work, but fortunately, the current version of the admin center is not
as bad as it used to be.

> Not a separate purchase.
>
> You should seriously consider installing the admin center on some
> other, ANY other, system image.  A cheap RedHat VM is probably the
> best place; that way you don't have to use the expesive AIX CPU and
> memory to support a commoditized web service.

that and separating a memory hog like the AC from important stuff is always a
good plan.

> You want P-series and AIX behind the DB2 and TSM layers, but for the
> websphere stuff, I don't know why you'd care.

well said.

--

Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind regards,

Remco Post