ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] V5.5.4.1 recovery log issues

2010-04-12 09:19:09
Subject: [ADSM-L] V5.5.4.1 recovery log issues
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 09:18:07 -0400
Well, this is becoming a very annoying and crazy problem.

Since upgrading my Linux TSM server from 5.5.3.0 to 5.5.4.1, I am having
constant problems with the log filling and pinning.  The latest set of
tools and diagnostics being used to monitor the log say little to nothing.

I implemented the suggested cron job to monitor the log%used.   For the
past few nights, it has been hitting 95%+.   It usually seems to back down
on its own and then spike again.

However, the "show logpinned" doesn't show any session/process that is
pinning the log.  The most common message from "show logpinned" at
5-minute intervals is:

The recovery log is pinned by a dirty page in the data base buffer pool.
Check the buffer pool statistics.  If the associated transaction is still
active then more information will be displayed about that transaction.

I am going to alter the script to include the other 10-commands suggested
in the PERL script from IBM.

Any thoughts on what is going on?

As I said, I never had these problems before 5.5.4.1.  I have held off
upgrading my other 5.5 servers until I get a handle on what is going on.
Looks/smells like a defect to me.

Nothing in my workload has changed within the past 2-months.
Zoltan Forray
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator
Virginia Commonwealth University
UCC/Office of Technology Services