ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Upgrading Admin Center from 6.1 to 6.2 when installed on the same host as TSM Server

2010-04-08 05:03:46
Subject: [ADSM-L] Upgrading Admin Center from 6.1 to 6.2 when installed on the same host as TSM Server
From: Stephan Boldt <stephan.boldt+adsm-l AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 11:01:57 +0200
Hello everybody,

I'm a bit confused about the upgrade path from TSM 6.1 to TSM 6.2 when the
Admin Center is installed on the same host as the TSM server itself. To be
precise, I don't understand how to upgrade the Admin Center without
uninstalling the whole TSM Server. That is because AC in TSM 6.1 was based
on the ISC but in 6.2 it uses the Tivoli Integrated Portal (TIP). Upgrading
the AC to 6.2 does not remove the ISC, you have to uninstall it yourself.
That would be OK for me if you are able to do so without touching the TSM
server installation, but
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tsminfo/v6/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.itsm.srv.install.doc/t_srv_uninst_overvu.htmlclearely
states that

"Uninstalling Tivoli Storage Manager removes all components of the Tivoli
Storage Manager server Version 6.1. It is not possible to uninstall a single
component of the product by itself. For example, *you cannot uninstall only
the Tivoli Storage Manager Administration Center and leave the Tivoli
Storage Manager server*."

Ha, great! I have to uninstall and recover my whole TSM server when
upgrading the AC??? I've uninstaled and recovered a TSM server 6.1 once and
this wasn't easy at all (lot's of db2 work). IBM can't be serious about this
as the only upgrade path!

Maybe I overlooked something and someone can give me a little hint :-)

kind regards,
Stephan