ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] FILE Device class over NFS

2010-04-05 10:37:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] FILE Device class over NFS
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 10:36:50 -0400
>> On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 15:15:47 -0700, Dale Jolliff <Dale.Jolliff AT DATADOMAIN
>> DOT COM> said:

[...]

> http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21214963

[...]

> Can anyone from IBM confirm that FILE device class over NFS is
> explicitly NOT supported?

Are you working a problem, or are you contemplating a planned config?

I'm not from IBM, but I'd be surprised to find them willing to discuss
it.  The fact is, NFS is simply too unreliable for TSM's style of IO.
This doesn't mean I've never used it: I have.  But I've used it for
things that are uninteresting from an IO perspective: backupsets, DB
backups, export volumes, etc.  All things which I could afford to fail
and redo.

The problem with supporting the NFS config is that you have a whole
barrel of worms in the TSM-server-to-NFS-server link.  RHEL with NFS
v2?  NetApp with V4?  I'm sure there's some species of NFS server for
Win too..

NFS debugging is already at least brown-belt network and unix kung fu.
The poor IBM tech probably doesn't have it.

- Allen S. Rout