ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] VCB backup performance

2010-03-17 19:48:13
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] VCB backup performance
From: "Prather, Wanda" <wPrather AT ICFI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 18:41:49 -0500
Hi Steve,
Been there, done that with VMWare backups.

You can parallelize what you are doing now by installing multiple schedulers on
your proxy machine.  Give it 2 (or more) node names (e.g., PROXYVCB1,
PROXYVCB2), install 2 schedulers, 2 dsm.opt files, give them each half the work
to do.  (Also no reason you can't add more proxy machines.)

That will only help the Proxy client drive multiple full backups at once, it
won't improve the speed of the VCB fulls, which definitely have performance
issues.

VMWARE is addressing the VCB performance issue by replacing VCB altogether, so
you should be looking ahead to ESX 4.0 or 4.1 for a long-term solution.
In VSPHERE (ESX 4.0), VMWare has created a "Storage API" for their own backup
utility called VDR, and for 3rd party vendors to write to (VCB is still
supported in 4.0 as well).

I have a customer using VDR+TSM with success so far.  Like most VM backup
products, VDR backs up only to disk.  But it's part of ESX 4.0 Enterprise, it's
supported by VMWare, gives you incremental and fulls, and DEDUPS, so the disk
repository doesn't get all that large.  It also thoughtfully keeps the sizes of
the resulting files in the repository below 2GB, at least as far as we've seen,
so we use TSM subfile backup to back up the repository and get stuff out to
tape and vaulted.

The VMWare world changes VERY fast.  I went to a VMWare UG last week, and the
VMWare rep said 4.1 will be out this year, and will NOT support VCB at all any
longer.  Thus my encouragement to move ahead to something that works a
different way.  TSM 6.2 will be out in March, and will support the VMWare API.
I don't have any doc yet explaining exactly what it will do in practical terms,
but it won't be VCB.

..and congrats on the new gig.!

Wanda