ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] assessing the health TSM installation

2010-03-14 15:38:16
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] assessing the health TSM installation
From: Xav Paice <xpaice AT OSS.CO DOT NZ>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 08:36:30 +1300
----- "yoda woya" <yodawoya AT GMAIL DOT COM> wrote:

> [...]

off the top of my head (we use a template for this at the office):
- database backups are frequent enough and allow for the desired recovery point
of the organisation
- copy pools and database backups are sent off site (i.e. not left in the
library or in a cardboard box beside it)
- performance bottlenecks (there's a client and server commands to check this)
- spread of tapes - if a restore needs 100 tape mounts then it's not going to
be acceptable
- daily maintenance routines, is everything getting done or is something
missing (maybe expiry never gets done or something like that)
- where is the time of the administrator spent, is there a better way to
achieve the same result?
- what's the history of the installation - has it suffered downtime issues from
something, etc?
- what's the organisational goals for TSM - do the copygroup settings match
that, is there wasted space or is data getting missed?

Often I come across installations that are great except for a few minor config
settings that prevent perfect operation - pulling tapes out of the library from
the primary stgpool without setting an overflow location, or not setting
reusedelay on copy pools.