ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Exchange2003 restore help

2010-02-25 17:03:02
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Exchange2003 restore help
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 23:02:11 +0100
On 25 feb 2010, at 22:52, Bill Boyer wrote:

> Environment is Exchange2003 server. TSM versions 5.5 on everything.
>
> Client had an Exchange server over a year ago called EXCHANGE01 with a
> couple storage groups. They did backups on this and retained them forever.
> They have since created a new, larger EXCHANGE04 server with 4 differently
> named storage groups, migrated the users over and then "retired" the
> EXCHANGE01 server. Now they have a need to restore mailboxes from the old
> EXCHANGE01 storage groups to another server in the domain EXCHANGE09.
>
> The original storage group names DO NOT exist in the new Exchange
> environement, so there's no way I can direct the restore to the Recovery
> Storage Group. How can I restore this old data and be able to appease the
> lawyers?? This is for legal discovery.

1- _backups_ are not for legal compliance

having said that, build a vm, install windows and exchange, restore, extract
the desired info, then destroy.

2- find some application that will _archive_ your e-mail info for legal
compliance purposes so you can comply next time....

good luck

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post