ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Disk Storage pool filling faster than it is emptying. ideas?

2010-02-24 08:43:17
Subject: [ADSM-L] Disk Storage pool filling faster than it is emptying. ideas?
From: "Dury, John C." <JDury AT DUQLIGHT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 08:42:07 -0500
We have a 3 TB disk storage pool that until recently, has been filling up
partially during backups, and then emptying as the data is migrated to tape.
The storage pool is now at 84% and climbing. I have 4 LTO4 Ultrium drives that
can't seem to migrate the data fast enough at all. Watching nmon, I am only
getting around 30MB/s total when all four drives are in use. They are all
assigned to ne HBA because of a lack of slots in the AIX server. I previously
had cache turned on for the disk storage pool (it is now off), so I am
wondering if the terrible performance is because the disk storage pool is
extremely fragmented because cache was turned on for so long. Any ideas how to
offload the data to tape faster?
John