ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to verify that the TSM Client Data is encrypted in the TSM Server

2010-02-09 11:25:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to verify that the TSM Client Data is encrypted in the TSM Server
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 11:23:50 -0500
>> On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 15:42:48 -0600, Abid Ilias <ailias AT UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
>> said:

> Is there any other way to find out if the data is encrypted in TSM
> Server other than looking into the activity log.  We are enabled the
> encryption option at the client end and it seem to work on AIX and
> having problem getting it to work on Linux platform.

wireshark.

Back up something small (10s of MB) and dominated by strings; capture,
and read the data.  Then activate compression, capture again, and
don't.

FILE volume.

Back something up to DEVCLASS=FILE, and emacs the raw file.  Read the
data.

Blow it away.

Activate compression, back it up again.  Fail to read the data.

- Allen S. Rout