ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Data Base Backups

2010-01-25 11:17:03
Subject: [ADSM-L] Data Base Backups
From: chart2 <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:15:26 -0500
This is more of a general or best practice question for on-line DB backups.
I'll get a page for a DB that is about to fall over because it cant pass the
archive logs to TSM fast enough and the archive log space is filling.  When I
look at the log size they are passing its usually something small like 4-12K
multiple times per min.  I suggest that they increase their log size as their
backup client is spending more time packaging and connecting to the backup
server than its taking to send the 4-1k of logs.

I understand that these logs can be dictated by time or size, but one would
think that there's a happier medium to sending 4-12k or 4-12GB per log file.
I've see 1-200MB log files that seem to be a good middle of the road.

Do other experience this with their DBA's and what do you do?

Regards,

Charles