ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Data retention period 60days

2010-01-22 00:56:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Data retention period 60days
From: Grigori Solonovitch <G.Solonovitch AT BKME DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 08:52:40 +0300
THis subject has been heavily discussed already. Just search ADSM-L for details.
By the way, if I have Oracle database mydb on sever MYNODE and dedicated TSM
node MYNODE_ORA for TDPO backups then:

1) on TSM Server:
  Policy        Policy          Mgmt                          Copy
    Versions     Versions      Retain         Retain
Domain        Set Name   Class                           Group
Data           Data            Extra           Only
Name                             Name                          Name
     Exists         Deleted       Versions     Version
---------     ---------     ---------                       ---------
   --------      --------       --------      -------
AIX           ACTIVE        AIX                           STANDARD      No
Limit     No Limit      32              32
AIX           ACTIVE        MYNODE_ORA      STANDARD       1                0
               0                0

2) From RMAN on server MYNODE (example for AIX node, $RC_USER, $RC_PASSWORD and
$RC_SERVICE are for recovery catalog database):
#!/bin/sh
#
export ORACLE_SID=mydb
export ORACLE_BASE=/home/oracle
export ORACLE_HOME=`grep "mydb:" /etc/oratab | head -n1 | cut -f2 -d":"`
export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH
export TNS_ADMIN=$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin
#
# Configure backup policy
rman <<EOF
#
# Connect to Recovery Manager Catalog Database
connect catalog $RC_USER/$RC_PASSWORD@$RC_SERVICE;
#
# Connect to target database
connect target;
#
# Set retention policy
CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 60 DAYS;
EOF
exit

In this case RMAN will manage TDPO backups to provide possibility to recover
database to any time during last 60 days.
Note only this way is correct.