ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DataDomain VTL

2010-01-13 11:48:49
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DataDomain VTL
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:43:18 -0600
Well, generally speaking with any Dedup product you don't want the nodes
compressing the data.  As we stand now, they don't, as the Tape Drive
Hardware compression is much better, and it's easier on the node's
processors, anyway.  And, with a VTL/DL that does both, compression and
Dedup you don't have the problem of needing larger and larger Disk
Storage Pools because you can send the clients straight to the VTL.  The
only down side is that you send "more" data over the wire.

See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.
John 3:16!