ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] pct idle wait > 100

2010-01-12 15:02:45
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] pct idle wait > 100
From: Keith Arbogast <warbogas AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 15:01:42 -0500
Richard,
Thanks for the insight.  You must be right on the first point, but
neither this node nor others whose Pct. Idle Wait or Pct. Comm. Wait
were greater than 100 had ANE4964I greater than 24 hours.  The longest
was 10 1/2 hours,

I found these bogus percentages as I was trying to identify the node
or nodes that caused multiple ANR4556W  errors last night.
        The text of ANR4556W is  "Attention: the database backup operation
did not free sufficient recovery log space to lower utilization below
the database backup trigger.

them is this one:
        "...any time there is a process that is going on while a database
backup is running, there is the possibility that that process may
"hang" when the backup is trying to clean up the recovery log."  Mark
Stapleton  Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:48:57 -0800
We had about 8 incremental backups last night, with full in between
them, while this node was active.  That, and the funny numbers in its
Pct. Comm Wait and Pct. Idle Wait fields makes me suspect it was in an
abnormal state and caused or contributed to the failed attempts to
empty the recovery log.
I also see 'Wait' percentages in the millions for a node on our other
TSM server which is on release 5.5.3.0.
Best wishes,
Keith Arbogast