ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DataDomain VTL

2010-01-12 09:57:10
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DataDomain VTL
From: "Strand, Neil B." <NBStrand AT LMUS.LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:54:43 -0500
Howard,
   I have a pair of DDR410s and pair of DDR510's that are configured for
NFS.  The 510's are being used to store vRanger backups of a VM
environment. Compression/deduplication is incredible for this
application.  47TB(terabytes) are stored on 811GB (Gigabytes).  Now
realize that there is a lot of redundancy with VMs and this environment
does not experience a lot of change, but the ability to store 30+ days
worth of full backups of 30 or 40 VMs on less than a TB or storage,
approaches the cost of tape (excluding electricity).  The 510 and 410
models are out of date and I have not messed with the VTL configuration
so cannot speak to that specific feature.

   Configuration is relatively simple.  Performance is nothing to brag
about for these models (except the deduplication/compression), The one
drawback is that a couple of filesystem reconfiguration tasks require
taking the filesystem offline.  The systems have been running for
several years with only an occasional disk replacement.  OS upgrades are
relatively straightforward - outage required.

   I did some testing with TSM using an NFS mount.  TSM was configured
to use the NFS mount with FILE device class with 2GB files.  My
intention was to compare DDR deduplication with TSM deduplication.  I
never got back to testing TSM deduplication but the DDR deduplication
was 281GB stored on 58GB = 80% savings.  Now this data was from a
handfull of windows workstations, so there was a lot or redundancy in
the data.

   Generally, I found the DDRs simple to set up, reliable, maintainable,
and do what they are supposed to do - crush bits together into the
smallest possible space. Performance is good - just don't expect a
screaming fast system - at the low end.  The high end systems and newer
systems advertise greater performance.

Cheers,
Neil Strand
Storage Engineer - Legg Mason
Baltimore, MD.
(410) 580-7491
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic.