ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] VMWare and TS1130 tape drives

2010-01-11 14:54:05
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] VMWare and TS1130 tape drives
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:53:07 -0500
-----Zoltan Forray wrote: -----

>This is a plain 3494 library, not 3584, so we don't have any of
>those features.
>
>Mahesh C. Tailor wrote:
>>Assuming you have the TS1130's in a 3584: you can create virtual
>>libraries and assign slots and drives to each library. We did this
>>to avoid having a single point of failure in the TSM library manager
>>and also not have any contention for resources on the library,
>>except the accessor.

You can do essentially the same thing with a 3494 if you want to.
You would have to define server to drive paths in such a way that
only one server had access to a particular tape drive, and define
libraries with non-overlapping pairs of volume categories.

I don't recommend this approach. It exposes you to situations in
which one server has sessions or processes waiting for tape drives
while other servers have tape drives sitting idle. Similarly, this
approach exposes you to situations in which one server runs short
of scratch volumes while other servers have surpluses.