ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] alternatives to TSM due to license costs

2009-12-30 19:16:47
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] alternatives to TSM due to license costs
From: Len Boyle <Len.Boyle AT SAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 19:16:10 -0500
Hello Bryan,

This is an interesting topic. Here are several thoughts and questions.

Licensing for NetBackup is also based on the class of the server and the class
of the clients.
The pricing keeps changing as some things that used to have a separate optional
cost are merged into the base cost.
As Both IBM and Symantec like to use 3rd party sellers it might also be
interesting to find the best price.

EMC's Avamar and Symantec's Pure disk are a little bit more like TSM in that
they only do incremental backups. They take this a bit further alone then TSM
in that they do block or segment incremental backups. They are a little
different in that the block/segment is single instance across all backup
clients covered by a backup server.  I wonder if IBM is going to add this
feature. Note this is not media or storage pool dedupe which Avamar, Pure disk
and TSM support.
They are also like TSM in that they require a data base to hold the meta-data.
But different in that they hold the data blocks/segments also. This makes
things interesting in that as far as I can tell a full backup of the backup
server is not possible other than by replication. This make things interesting
if one worries about backup server database corruption due to a software bug.
I believe that comm vault also supports this backup model. But they are a
little bit different in that they will move the data from the backup server to
tape in the dedupe format, where the others reconstitute the deduped data
before writing the data to tape.

I am not sure if Syncsort and FDR also play in this game.

In the Microsoft only world, Microsoft now sells a vss based product that works
on windows and windows data base products including Exchange and Sharepoint.
The last I heard they do not support other products such as Oracle DB and IBM
DB/2.

One could also look at hardware solutions from vendors such as data domain and
netapp for many of one's backup needs.

Not as full featured as the above products, has anyone been looking at the open
sourced products?

len