ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Problems backing up CIFS

2009-12-23 14:38:11
Subject: [ADSM-L] Problems backing up CIFS
From: "Huebschman, George J." <GJHuebschman AT LMUS.LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 14:36:58 -0500
Greetings all,
        Please hold your snorts of mirth until the end of my e-mail.
I am having a strange problem backing up a CIFS share (on an out of
support OS and an out of support client).

Client OS - Windows 2000 SP4
TSM Client - 5.1.5.0
TSM Sever OS AIX 5.3.0.0
TSM Server 5.5.1.0

Last Friday a client began failing its backup.  The only really
significant item in the dsmerror.log is this item referencing a CIFS
share:
12/23/2009 03:18:03 ANS1228E Sending of object '\\filer00\CIFSname'
failed
12/23/2009 03:18:03 ANS1063E Invalid path specification

It is configured the same way as other clients in our environment that
backkup CIFS are configured, the share is referenced as a domain entry
in the dsm.opt file:
DOMAIN \\filer00\CIFSname

I can map to that location from the client server.
I can map to that location from my workstation and other servers.
I can perform manual backups of that share from the client server.

I have stopped and restarted the TSM Scheduler Service (not using the
CAD).
We did an ipconfig /flushdns.

I could try upgrading the client, but we have a change freeze until
after the holidays.  I would prefer to figure out what is wrong.

Happy Holidays

George Huebschman
Storage Support Team, Media Librarian
Legg Mason, LMTS

Please plant a tree before printing this e-mail, and remember, E-Mail is
forever
...but Diamonds are a girl's best friend.

IMPORTANT:  E-mail sent through the Internet is not secure. Legg Mason
therefore recommends that you do not send any confidential or sensitive
information to us via electronic mail, including social security numbers,
account numbers, or personal identification numbers. Delivery, and or timely
delivery of Internet mail is not guaranteed. Legg Mason therefore recommends
that you do not send time sensitive
or action-oriented messages to us via electronic mail.

This message is intended for the addressee only and may contain privileged or
confidential information. Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not
use, copy or disclose to anyone any information contained in this message. If
you have received this message in error, please notify the author by replying
to this message and then kindly delete the message. Thank you.