ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Restoring LARGE server

2009-12-09 08:52:15
Subject: [ADSM-L] Restoring LARGE server
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 08:50:54 -0500
Trying to restore a LARGE Windows server.  Over 40M objects.  Client is 6.1

As you can imagine, we have had to use the journal as well as
MEMORYEFFICIENT to perform backups.

If I read correctly, MEMORYEFFICIENT is ONLY for backups.  Obviously the
journal is of no value since the restore is to a new machine/location.

The other issue gumming up the works is that the backups have been failing
(drive array problems/corruption) and thus TSM has marked almost everything
as "inactive".  A first, NQR restore (just selected the drive) attempt only
restored 90GB (of 600G+) before "finishing successfully".  But when I
choose to pick inactive as well as active, the NQR is disabled.

The server transfers down 1GB of metadata before the client chokes on
"insufficient memory".

So, how am I supposed to restore this many objects, besides picking one
directory at a time, which is not to say that some directories are large
enough to also cause a "not enough memory" situation?

Suggestions on how to handle this?