ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Sybase hot-backup under itanium client

2009-11-30 18:47:18
Subject: [ADSM-L] Sybase hot-backup under itanium client
From: cpreston <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 18:46:33 -0500
<quote>
I am a newbie here so please excuse my stupid question. I've been searching in
the IBM.com site but couldn't find anything straight. I found however, an excel
spreadsheet ((October09-Tivoli-Platform-Support-Matrix-1.xls) ) where one can
do a search and under tab "OS Support" at GJ657 the junction for Sybase under
Itanium for Tivoli Manager for Sybase has nothing. Does it mean that TSM has
nothing to do with Sybase under Itanium? If so, what other backup platform
would you suggest to try? </quote>

My guess is that you're right.  If you're curious as to why, I'd say this:
1. Sybase market share (getting smaller every day)
2. Itanium market share (smaller than they hoped it would be)
3. Market share of customers with both Sybase & Itanium (look in the mirror)

OK, number 3 is not that bad, but that is how these things go.  Companies
develop to trends and market share.  Itanium/Sybase customers are neither.
Hope that doesn't sound TOO harsh.  I'm a blunt kind of guy. ;)