ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Log pinned

2009-11-23 15:28:34
Subject: [ADSM-L] Log pinned
From: Fred Johanson <Fred AT UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 14:27:28 -0600
A different problem than the one a few weeks gone by.

DB backup finished, leaving log usage at 0.1 % used.  No sessions running, so I
started an expiration process.  After 30 minutes, this is what I saw:

tsm: GLASSHOUSE>q pr

 Process     Process Description      Status
  Number
--------     --------------------
     873     Backup Storage Pool      Primary Pool SERVDISKPOOL, Copy Pool
OFFSITEPOOL,
                                       Files Backed Up: 43179, Bytes Backed Up:
                                       145,892,524,032, Unreadable Files: 0,
Unreadable
C32083.
     878     Expiration               Examined 207408 objects, deleting 207376
backup
                                       objects, 0 archive objects, 0 DB backup
volumes,
                                       0 recovery plan files; 0 errors
encountered.

tsm: GLASSHOUSE>q sess

   Sess     Comm.      Sess         Wait       Bytes       Bytes     Sess
Platform     Client Name
 Number     Method     State        Time        Sent       Recvd     Type
-------     ------     ------     ------     -------     -------     -----
--------     -------------------
388,208     Tcp/Ip     Run          0 S       63.7 M         150     Admin
Linux86      SERVERGRAPH
442,970     Tcp/Ip     Run          0 S      134.3 K       2.2 K     Admin
AIX          FRED
443,069     Tcp/Ip     IdleW      8.9 M       38.4 K       1.2 K     Admin
AIX          AILIAS
445,050     Tcp/Ip     IdleW       15 S        4.3 K         405     Node
SUN SOL-     JON

ARIS

tsm: GLASSHOUSE>q log

Available     Assigned       Maximum       Maximum        Page         Total
      Used       Pct      Max.
    Space     Capacity     Extension     Reduction        Size        Usable
     Pages      Util       Pct
     (MB)         (MB)          (MB)          (MB)     (bytes)         Pages
                          Util
---------     --------     ---------     ---------     -------     ---------
 ---------     -----     -----
   12,788       12,788             0         6,996       4,096     3,273,216
 1,482,016      45.3      92.1

I cancelled the expiration and the runaway log stopped running.

My thinking is that the expiration is feverishly writing its transaction to the
log.  Since there are no other sessions accessing the log, there are no
interrupts to trigger a commit.  So the log keeps filling, triggering and
retriggering DB backups.  If my thinking is correct, this is a design feature
in the pre-DB2 b-tree DB, not easily remedied.  Just something to constantly
monitor.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Fred Johanson
TSM Administrator