ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Client based encryption issues

2009-11-06 17:17:25
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Client based encryption issues
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 23:16:25 +0100
On 6 nov 2009, at 20:10, Harris, Chad E wrote:

Hello All,

From time to time we are having issues where clients trying to
configure client based encryption on their servers can't get TSM to
prompt them to generate an encryption key.  This seems to be a
problem that has been occurring only on clients running various
levels of Windows OS and different levels of the TSM ba client.  I
am wondering if anyone else has experienced periodic failures when
having clients' setup encryption, and if so what do you do to
correct this problem?   The steps we are using to have clients
configure encryption are below; please let us know if we are doing
something incorrect in the process.

1.            Add these statements to dsm.opt
               encryptiontype aes128
               encryptkey         save
               include.encrypt *\...\*

shouldn't that be "include.encrypt *"?

2.            Run 'dsmc q sched' to confirm the client can
communicate with tsmin01
3.            Run a very small backup to initiate the encryption key
creation routine.
4.            When prompted at the bottom of the screen, choose the
option to: Generate an encryption key.
5.            Enter the encryption key and confirm it.  You will see
your backup run to completion and the encryption                 key
will be stored in your Windows registry.

Chad E. Harris
Indiana University
UITS Storage and Virtualization

--