ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Poor compression results

2009-10-26 23:58:46
Subject: [ADSM-L] Poor compression results
From: Jason Clarke <JCL AT GWSC.VIC.EDU DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:56:29 +1100
Hi everyone,

Please bear with me, I'm a small time school network admin :-)

In short, the compression ratios I'm seeing appear to be quite poor. I'm
looking for guidance on determining if 'thats all I'm going to get' due
to hardware restrictions or if there is hope.

The setup:
We have a single instance of TSM (was 5.4, now 6.1) running on a single
Win2k3 server, an IBM 3550 with 6GB ram. This is directly connected, no
FC switch (thats coming) to a EMC CX300 SAN via 2GB FC. We run a IBM
TS3200 4ru tape library with 2x 3580-TD3 drives (LTO3) connected on a
single Ultra-320 SCSI card - Adaptec 29320ALP.

Currently we pull from the clients (about 15 total) and spool it to the
EMC SAN via a diskpool (500GB), the majority of clients are running
1gbit. Once that hits 50% utilisation, its migrated to tape. Each night
we backup both the disk and tape pools to an offsite tape pool.

All of this is done outside of business hours during exceptionally low
utilisation times.

Below is a sample of the various volumes we have.

H:\TSMDATA\SERVER1\POOL S\DISK0.DSM    DISK DISK 51.2 G
023335L3     TAPE            LTO3     420.7 G
023336L3     TAPE            LTO3     417.4 G
023337L3     TAPE            LTO3     438.0 G
OFF001L3     OFFSITETAPE     LTO3     445.7 G
OFF002L3     OFFSITETAPE     LTO3     439.9 G
OFF003L3     OFFSITETAPE     LTO3     488.4 G

I believe I have the config in TSM setup right..

tsm: SERVER1>q devcl

Device        Device         Storage     Device        Format
Est/Max      Mount
Class         Access            Pool     Type
Capacity      Limit
Name          Strategy         Count
(MB)
---------     ----------     -------     ---------     ------
--------     ------
DISK          Random               1
FILEDEV1      Sequential           1     FILE          DRIVE
102,400.0         32
LTO1          Sequential           0     LTO           ULTRIUMC
1
LTO3          Sequential           2     LTO           DRIVE
409,600.0          2

tsm: SERVER1>q drive f=d

                                Library Name: LIBRARY
                                  Drive Name: MT4.0.0.2
                                 Device Type: LTO
                                     On-Line: Yes
                                Read Formats:
ULTRIUM3C,ULTRIUM3,ULTRIUM2C,ULTRIUM2,ULTRIUMC,ULTRIUM
                               Write Formats:
ULTRIUM3C,ULTRIUM3,ULTRIUM2C,ULTRIUM2
                                     Element: 256
                                 Drive State: LOADED
                                 Volume Name: 092394L3
                                Allocated to:
                                         WWN:
                               Serial Number: 1210170739
              Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
                       Last Update Date/Time: 05/05/2009 09:30:24
Cleaning Frequency (Gigabytes/ASNEEDED/NONE): NONE

                                Library Name: LIBRARY
                                  Drive Name: MT5.0.0.2
                                 Device Type: LTO
                                     On-Line: Yes
                                Read Formats:
ULTRIUM3C,ULTRIUM3,ULTRIUM2C,ULTRIUM2,ULTRIUMC,ULTRIUM
                               Write Formats:
ULTRIUM3C,ULTRIUM3,ULTRIUM2C,ULTRIUM2
                                     Element: 257
                                 Drive State: LOADED
                                 Volume Name: OFF029L3
                                Allocated to:
                                         WWN:
                               Serial Number: 1210306202
              Last Update by (administrator): ADMIN
                       Last Update Date/Time: 05/05/2009 09:30:30
Cleaning Frequency (Gigabytes/ASNEEDED/NONE): NONE

Given that a LARGE amount of our backups are SQL databases and
transaction logs, I was expecting better than 1.075 to 1 compression
ratio.

My understanding that LTO3 likes to run at or about 80MB/s. Ultra320
will run up to 320MB/s. The slowest portion of our setup is the 2Gb/s FC
connection into the SAN.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe I need to force the devclass to use compression rather than give
it the option.. but I would assume compression is favoured over not?

Regards,

Jason Clarke
Network Manager
Glen Waverley S.C.