ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Performance and migration: AIX vs Linux

2009-10-23 11:13:22
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Performance and migration: AIX vs Linux
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 11:12:17 -0400
On Oct 23, 2009, at 4:27 AM, Mehdi Salehi wrote:

According to IBM, AIX outperforms Linux on the same box between 5%
to 10%. ...

Well, there is a single AIX product, but many versions of Linux
(unfortunately).  Without a citation for the claim, it's not clear
that the assertion is true.  A further factor may be the way in which
the application being used as the basis of comparison has been ported
to the Linux platform, which can affect how it runs in that other
environment.  While I prefer AIX as an industrial strength incarnation
of Unix as compared with Linux variants, I'll give Linux its due where
it does better.

  Richard Sims