ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Querying status of a finished process

2009-10-19 17:53:16
Subject: [ADSM-L] Querying status of a finished process
From: Tribe <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 17:52:14 -0400
Roger Deschner wrote:
> This is always a puzzle, and the best I've come up with is the backup
> completion timestamps for each filespace, as reported by either:
>
> * Linemode Client QUERY FILESPACE command (This valuable information is
> not available in the GUI client - why?)
>
> * Server Q FILESPACE F=D. I have written a script to make this easier to
> look at. (below)
>
> This is still imperfect, because if you do a partial backup using the
> GUI client, and choose only some directories within a filespace, then
> the filespace backup completion timestamp does NOT get updated, even
> though the SUMMARY table will show success for such a partial backup.
> There are other ways this filespace backup completion data can be an
> imprefect indicator of the success or failure of a backup. Nevertheless,
> these filespace backup completion timestamps are the most reliable thing
> available to tell whether or not the backup really worked.
>
> Here's the script I use: (v5.5 server)
> /* Script QBACK */
> /* Q FILESPACE with dates showing */
> /* Argument may be lower or upper case */
> /* 2007-11-14 - Roger Deschner, University of Illinois at Chicago */
> set sqldisplaymode wide
> select -
> CAST(filespace_id AS CHAR(2)) AS "ID", -
> CAST(filespace_name AS CHAR(40)) AS "FS Name", -
> CAST(filespace_type AS CHAR(8)) AS "FS Type", -
> CAST(SUBSTRING(CAST(backup_start AS CHAR(26)) FROM 1 FOR 16) AS CHAR(16)) AS
> "Started", -
> CAST(SUBSTRING(CAST(backup_end AS CHAR(26)) FROM 1 FOR 16) AS CHAR(16)) AS
> "Ended" -
> from adsm.filespaces where node_name=UPPER('$1') ORDER BY 5 DESC
>
> Roger Deschner      University of Illinois at Chicago     rogerd < at >
> uic.edu
> ======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====

Thank you all for your excellent help. Right now I went the easy way and just
did a:
SELECT
ACTIVITY,NUMBER,SUCCESSFULL
FROM SUMMARY WHERE ENTITY='node_name'

But at the same time I also verify that the filer reports the backup / restore
as successful. I'll also look into the other points mentioned by you, but for
now this solution is fine for me.

Regards,
Jan