ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] UPS

2009-10-06 13:54:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] UPS
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 12:52:41 -0500
Is this a Widows, AIX, Linux, or Solaris server?  All these OSes will
automatically shutdown their running services if a shutdown command is
issued.

However, I think what you are wanting is something that will stop the
running processes, cancel client sessions, and unmount volumes so the
server goes down clean but in a hurry, if the power goes out.  Am I
correct?

I think the best you could hope for is cancelling all the running
processes and clients.  Unmounting tapes in use takes time, and in an
emergency shutdown you're really just wanting to make sure the DB stays
as clean as possible, and that storage pools don't get hosed.

To get you started you could do something like the following: (not being
a scripter or programmer by nature I may be way off here :-) ).

Run a command that disables all client sessions.
Run a sql query that gathers all running session numbers and begins the
cancelling of them 1 by one.
Run a command to stop all scripts, and disable schedules.  (if you are
like me and have a single schedule that handles maintenance this could
be a challenge at some parts of the day.).
Run a sql query that gathers all running processes and begins cancelling
them 1 by one.

The amount of time it will take to shut everything down depends on what
is running, how large the files are that the system is moving, etc.
Client sessions cancel pretty quick, hence the reason I would think
starting there is a good idea.

Since I don't have such a script, I'm not a scripter by nature, and all
my TSM servers are protected by a DataCenter wide UPS, I've never
thought too much about it.  Hopefully this can help you get started.

See Ya'
Howard