ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] SV: the purpose of "file" device class

2009-09-23 05:07:44
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] SV: the purpose of "file" device class
From: Xav Paice <xpaice AT OSS.CO DOT NZ>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 21:06:25 +1200
----- "Michael Green" <mishagreen AT GMAIL DOT COM> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Christian Svensson
> <Christian.Svensson AT cristie DOT se> wrote:
> > Hi Eric,
> > With Quantum DXi (VTL) can you do the same thing. The DXi has both a
> VTL part and a NAS Disk part and both have De-Dup working.
> > The NAS part can you connect as local disk via iSCSI.
>
> iSCSI is not NAS. It's SAN.
> NAS is either NFS or CIFS.
> Unless I'm missing something...

Yup - iSCSI is block based and not file based, so it's more of a SAN IMHO, but
there's another school of thought that says anything that can run over your
normal TCP/IP network isn't a 'proper' SAN as it's not dedicated to storage,
it's 'Network Attached'.  Nice crossover, shall we say anything of FC/IP, iFCP,
or even IPFC...?

I might be wrong as I'm not too experienced with the DXi, but I thought that it
could dole out storage as NAS (NFS or CIFS), or act as a VTL as an
iSCSI/Fiberchannel visible 'tape' device rather than local disk?