ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] the purpose of "file" device class

2009-09-21 12:15:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] the purpose of "file" device class
From: Shawn Drew <shawn.drew AT AMERICAS.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 12:14:40 -0400
I resisted including this, because only one session can actually write to
the volume, but many can read from it.  This is mainly for restore
performance.
It still doesn't address the queueing issue.  For sequential files,
multi-session write access would introduce multi-plexed data streams.  I
much prefer migration from random access disk if the alternative is
long-term storage in a multi-plexed format.  (bad netbackup memories)

Backing up directly to sequential devices makes sense for large
files/nodes.  However, we have hundreds of machines that only back up a
few GB per night.  Random access disk is best for this.  The "Max size
threshold"  is ideal for controlling this.

I really believe the disk and file devices are complements and not
competitors.  I bet IBM is developing file devices heavily because it is
relatively new and not mature. I don't believe they are trying to supplant
disk devices. The real file-device competitor is VTL and those are the
features that IBM is pursuing (deduplication, etc)
I don't think random-access disk is going anywhere.

Regards,
Shawn
Shawn Drew

Internet
tsm AT NETWORKC.CO DOT UK

Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
09/21/2009 11:51 AM
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] the purpose of "file" device class

Just to be uber-picky, FILE volumes now do allow multiple
sessions/processes
to read/write concurrently to a single FILE volume from TSM 5.5 onwards
(
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v1r1/topic/com.ibm.itsmms

munn.doc/anrsgd5515.htm#wq28).

The big picture as I've read it is that IBM are perhaps angling the
user-base towards using FILE volumes, and that new developments would be
implemented against FILE technology rather than DISK. That being said,
it's
fair to say that many people are simply more comfortable with the ease,
simplicity and habit of implementing and managing DISK volumes.

/DMc