ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Some advice about compression=yes to perform IMAGE backup

2009-09-20 00:25:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Some advice about compression=yes to perform IMAGE backup
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 21:24:47 -0700
admbackup wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am need some advice about using compression=yes for image backups
>

> I need to perform image backups of mulitple disks on a windows 2008 server.
> Most of them have like 1.45T of size.
>
> We are running out of tapes and I was thinking in using compression.  I know
> that it is recommended to set compressalways=yes on the TSM server when using
> compression, but I am not using compression for all the backups.  Is this
> parameter transparent for the client servers that dont use compression=yes?
>
> Also, how recommended is using compression for image backups??  I know that
> it is going to increasse the time that the backup takes but I have a lot of
> time windows to perform those image backups (All the weekend)

What kind of tapes do you use? You should probably stick with hardware
compression if you can. Remember to not only think of the amount of time
the backup takes, but the amount of time the restore is going to take.
Hardware compression is going to take buy you performance, but software
compression is going to lose you performance.

-- Foege Building S048, (206)-685-7354