ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM architecture

2009-09-18 11:37:43
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM architecture
From: "Haberstroh, Debbie (IT)" <HABERDE AT VOUGHTAIRCRAFT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:36:25 -0500
Hi All,

My current environment is TSM 5.5.3, 1 library manager, 3 database servers.
These are installed on a P550 AIX 5.3 system in separate LPAR's.  We have 355
clients, 200 + are active.  My current TSM databases are 100GB, 65-82%
utilized.  We are going to be doing a large  business object installation which
will add 30-50 new clients including multiple Oracle databases.  Our proposal
was to add an additional TSM server to handle the new requirements.

We have a new "architect" that is not very familiar with TSM and his proposal
is to "stack" TSM on another server that is running a different application.
His argument is that TSM does most of it's work at night and the application
(which one is TBD) does most of it's work during the day.  From what I know,
due to TSM's resource utilization, it should be on it's own hardware.

Has anyone tried to do this and what were your results?  I would love to get
some good arguments to take back that would support our original position to
install on separate hardware.  Thanks to everyone for your ideas.

Debbie Haberstroh
TSM Server Administration