ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape drive manual

2009-09-18 10:45:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape drive manual
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:43:54 -0400
On Sep 18, 2009, at 9:56 AM, Bruno Oliveira wrote:

I have a small environment where you are using the IBM Tivoli
Storage Manager 5.5 as the backup server. Using client BA client,
TDP TDP SQL and Exchange backup to realize a pool hard disk.

The company have a tape drive manual, and the data in the pool of
hard fit on a single tape. I need to know how to paste a script
running that makes a backup of the hard disk pool and database to a
single tape until it exhausted its capacity.

I discern that what you want to do is perform a Backup Stgpool, from a
primary storage pool to a fresh tape in a copy storage pool, until
that tape fills.
Under the constraints, you should probably define your copy storage
pool with MAXSCRatch=0, so as to prevent it from trying to use
whatever number of volumes it would want to fulfill the operation.
Perform 'UPDate Volume * ACCess=READOnly WHERESTGpool=__________' to
first render all Filling state volumes in the copy storage pool read-
only, so that the upcoming operation does not try to append to a
previously started tape.  Now use DEFine Volume to assign an empty
(scratch) tape to the copy storage pool.  Now you can perform BAckup
STGpool to make a copy of all the data in the primary pool which fits
on that one, writeable tape.  If not all data fits, I don't see the
real value of the tape, or the overall purpose of the exercise.

Again, this is perverting the purpose of TSM as an enterprise storage
product, which needs to be unfettered in order to perform its designed
functions so as to fully assure preserving all the data.

   Richard Sims