ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Apple Snow Leopard (MacOS X 10.6)

2009-09-16 21:26:14
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Apple Snow Leopard (MacOS X 10.6)
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 21:24:16 -0400
On Sep 16, 2009, at 5:44 PM, Remco Post wrote:

Given that there are about 0 new features in 10.6 (according to
apple), I don't expect that IBM will have to change anything in the
TSM client. Apple even forgot to use zfs as an option for the root
filesystem.... Anyway, I guess we'll have to wait for IBM to finish
testing the client on MacOS X.6 to formally state that it is
supported.

Snow Leopard does add some new features; but the purpose of the
release is to construct infrastructure as the basis for further OS X
development (and cross-hardware-pollination with iPhone and the
upcoming tablet).  The internal changes can have a significant impact
upon applications, depending upon what they are doing.
Apple wanted to pursue ZFS; but complications with Sun's licensing
terms, and then the situation with Sun in general in the Oracle
transition, resulted in uncertain conditions.

Last year, IBM had made noises of increased partnership with Apple,
but it appears that TSM has once again waited for general
availability of a new OS X release before embarking upon development
to accommodate it, which once again disappoints the customer base.

  Richard Sims