ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] rarely, tapes become logically unusable?

2009-09-15 14:35:54
Subject: [ADSM-L] rarely, tapes become logically unusable?
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:34:14 -0400
Hi, there.

I have a small collection of tapes which appear to have become
uncorrectably unusable.  They were part of a server which has been
decomissioned; now

tsm: CTRL>UPDATE LIBVOLUME 3592LIB T00015 status=private owner=GLMAIL
ANR9787E The owner name specified is not defined to this server.
ANS8001I Return code 11.

tsm: CTRL>UPDATE LIBVOLUME 3592LIB T00015 status=private owner=blargh
ANR8969E The owner of volume T00015 can not be updated to owner BLARGH.
ANS8001I Return code 27.

So, somewhere in its black little heart, TSM remembers what server
that tape went with, depite the fact that the server has been off
since 2005.  On the one hand this is good: it prevents me from
accidentally overwriting tapes.  On the other hand, it's now
preventing me from deliberately overwriting tapes.

What do I do?  Ideally, I'd like to express to the server something
like 'No really, call that blank again, I'd like to reuse it'.
Relabel it, force=yes, checkin=scratch?

Any ideas?

- Allen S. Rout