ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] differences in work with file between HSM and TSM for Space Management

2009-09-10 10:35:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] differences in work with file between HSM and TSM for Space Management
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 16:35:07 +0200
On 10 sep 2009, at 15:48, Gennadiy Khramov wrote:

Hi,
may someone tells - is any differences between TSM HSM (for Windows)
and
TSM for Space Management (for Unix) in work with files/filesystems?

From the perspective of the filesystem, and the user there is very
little difference. Oddly, from the perspective of TSm there is a huge
difference. Where HSM for Unix uses the HSM interface to TSM, all
windows HSM clients use TSM archiving.

Well, may I test how application interact with HSM stub-files in
windows
environment and interpret that in Unix that will be work
(approximately :)
)same?

HSM for Unix (IMHO) allows for a far more flexible configuration,
though it is a bit more complex. Since Windows and Unix are completely
different beasts (though, with some effort even windows can become
posix compliant), one can only say that the workings of the OS and
also the HSM client is roughly the same, in a very high-level
conceptual way. I would not go as far as to say that understanding of
the windows HSM client would benefit you in any way if you ever had to
configure HSM on Unix or vice-versa.

Best Regards,
Khramov Gennadiy
gkhramov AT computel DOT ru