ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TDP-SQL behavior for diff backup of new databases

2009-09-03 07:20:33
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TDP-SQL behavior for diff backup of new databases
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 07:17:41 -0400
Hi Steve,

Interesting...
Our opinion is that the SQL Server should not allow a differential backup
be run on a database that has never had a full backup run on it.
The Microsoft documentation clearly states that when restoring a
differential backup,
you must first restore the full backup.
The problem with your "a" solution below is that DP/SQL cannot make
assumptions about
who took the full backup. If DP/SQL prevents the differential backup from
occurring
but the SQL Server allows it, we will surely get an APAR on that because
some
customers may be using a different technique for their full backups.
The general rule is that we try not to "outsmart" the SQL Server.

My suggestion is to open an official problem with IBM, and have the IBM
Service
person work directly with Microsoft to find out why the SQL Server is
allowing
this to happen in the first place. As an example, the Exchange Server will
not even
allow you to take a DIFFERENTIAL backup until a FULL backup has been
performed.
It errors out.

Until this is resolved, I suggest that you have your SQL Server DBAs
perform
a manual full backup right after they create a database.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 09/03/2009
06:41:50 AM: