ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Forecasting dedup effectiveness

2009-08-21 15:22:04
Subject: [ADSM-L] Forecasting dedup effectiveness
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:20:59 -0400
My employer is planning for a small satellite data center that will
house fail-over systems for some of our more critical applications.
One of the options under consideration is having all of the primary
storage pools at the satellite data center reside on disk. In the
absence of deduplication, the TSM inventory for the site would
occupy about ten terabytes. Are there any known methods of
forecasting the effectiveness of TSM Version 6 deduplication for
a particular workload? Our current data center has a Version 5
TSM server, so we cannnot do any experimental measurements.