ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ALMS benefit to shared-library management ?

2009-08-17 20:51:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ALMS benefit to shared-library management ?
From: Alex Paschal <apaschal AT MSIINET DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 19:50:20 -0500
Hi, David.

TS3500 libraries do not require ALMS for LTO encryption as long as there
are no non-encryption-capable LTO drives mixed in.  If you plan to do a
phased migration in the same library from, for example, LTO3 to LTO4,
then you will require ALMS as LTO3 are not encryption-capable.

I have seen libraries partitioned using ALMS for political reasons to
keep certain tape media artificially segregated from other tape media.

I have seen ALMS used to managed mixed drives in the library to enable
encrypting only certain subsets of media.

I seem to recall you can use ALMS to allow drive sharing between library
partitions so that TSM servers can share drives without requiring a
library manager.  (I'd have to double-check that before committing to
it.)

My opinion is that ALMS allows more flexibility in configuring and
growing your library environment no matter what backup software you plan
to use.  (Although TSM is hands-down the best.  :-)

Alex Paschal
Storage Solutions Engineer
MSI Systems Integrators
(503) 943-6919 - Office