ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Change backup copy group settings

2009-08-14 10:49:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Change backup copy group settings
From: km <km AT GROGG DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:47:52 +0200
On 14/08, David McClelland wrote:
> I'm not sure that checking the dsmsched.log on the client will help James to
> identify how many versions of files have been expired on the TSM server as a
> result of the copy group change and subsequent EXPIRE INVENTORY run, but I
> agree that checking the output of 'Q OCC' for the client before and after
> the expiration is a good plan. You could check the output of some 'Q BACKUP'
> commands from the client for some sample files to ensure that there are only
> the required number/retention of objects after the change/expiration has
> been run. But if you've already made the change and run EXPIRE INVENTORY
> without any grabbing any baseline information for this client beforehand
> then you're pretty limited in your ability to calculate the delta. If you're
> very lucky, the AUDITOCCUPANCY table may not have been updated since the
> change and you can run 'Q AUDITOCC <TESTNODE>' to get some information on
> volume of data managed from before, then run an 'AUDIT LIC' and then run the
> 'Q AUDITOCC <TESTNODE>' once again to give you the delta.
>
> HTH,
>
> /David McClelland
> London, UK

He just wanted the number of files, which will be shown as: "Total number of
objects expired: " in the backup summary. This will ofcourse include any
normally deleted files.

The only added info in OCC or AUDITOCC is the size. TSM is not very good
at giving info about versions on filespace or higher level and anything
below that (contents or backup table) is to resource heavy. Maybe this
is easier in 6.1?

-km