ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Virtual Volume assistance

2009-08-13 16:09:15
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Virtual Volume assistance
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:07:41 -0400
-----Shawn Drew wrote: -----

>TSM 5.5.3
>
>For some reason, it seems to ignore the maxsize setting.  I've set
>the devclass to 50G, but the volumes seem to randomly choose when
>they are full.  Collocation is disabled.  Here is an excerpt from
>a q vol. Strange.
>
>[Excerpt deleted]

If I remember correctly, TSM will never reopen a virtual volume
with data on it for the purpose of appending additional data.
This means that a storage pool virtual volume will be full when
it is closed after writing. The documentation for Version 6
states explicitly that virtual volumes work this way. I think
the same was true in earlier versions, although I don't remember
where I read or heard that.