ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM 5.5 using LANFree backup really "slow"

2009-07-31 20:39:59
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM 5.5 using LANFree backup really "slow"
From: Flavio Junior <billpp AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 21:38:55 -0300
Hi folks,

I'm here, again, asking for help :)
More I read, more doubts I have.

I'm now implementing a TSM For SAN setup, to performance comparison
with my currently LAN backup.

I'll describe my scenario below, any doubt's feel free to ask me:
- 2 Production nodes using RHEL 5.3 connected to SAN
- 1 IBM DS4700 storage with 14 FC disks (13 raid5 + 1 hot-spare)
- Each node have a emulex dual-port HBA
- 2 Brocade TotalStorage fiber switches, with coherent zonings
- Library is a IBM TS3100 LTO4 SAN, with only one drive

Ok, i'm using TSM with LAN backups for a week, the transfer rate comes
among 60~80GB per hour.
The tape has a nominal write speed of 120MB/s that says me 430GB/h,
ok.. this is a *nominal* speed, I was expecting something near
300GB/h, good enough for me.

For these tests I've configured TSM Server on node1 and TSM Client on
node2. Each node has 6 1Gbps NIC's, 4 to public network 2 for
cluster-heartbeat + backups.
With this setup I've got, as said above, 60~80GB/h.

So, I decide to setup TSM for SAN.. Download a lot of docs/books and
start reading/doing.
I end up with:

- Fabric zoning changes, isolating a HBA port on each dual-port cards for nodes
- Installed StorageAgent on node2
- Installed TSM Client on node2
- - Configured the client to connect on storageagent
- Redefine all my TSM Server setup
- - Make Library as shared=yes, configure storage agent as a server,
configure path, configure datawritepath=lanfree and so on...

Ok, time to backup.
And, for my surprise i got only ~500MB per minute.. I thought it very
strange.. I've no idea what is the problem, I've tried with
compression and without, DATAREADPATH=LAN and SAN, VirtualMountPoints
or Physical ...

Does anybody have an idea the reason of that bad transfer rate?? The
servers are Samba Servers, with all kind of file and all size

As I said before, I'm really new with TSM so is really possible that
I've misconfigured something :)

Anyway, thanks in advance, and any help will be appreciated.

--

Flávio do Carmo Júnior aka waKKu
Florianópolis/SC - Brazil