ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Incl/Excl Problem

2009-07-24 08:37:14
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Incl/Excl Problem
From: Wanda Prather <wanda.prather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 08:34:27 -0400
Here's adding my 2c to the confusion:

I agree with Lindsay;  setting
DOMAIN D:
is dangerous, because that way all you get is D:, and if someone adds an E:
drive later, it will be skipped.

So I recommend using Bill's notation:

Domain ALL-LOCAL   -C:
or
Domain ALL-LOCAL
Domain -C:

Domain statements are additive; so if you specify all-local  minus C:, if
someone adds an E: drive later it will be correctly picked up.

However, the original poster wanted to back up a subdirectory on C:
If you exclude C: with a Domain statement, or with exclude.dir, you can't
back up a subdirectory, because TSM will never traverse the C: drive at all.

The only way to backup a subdirectory in C: without backing up all of C: is

exclude c:\...\*
include c:\...\subdir\...\*

And that is going to give you a backup of all the files in subdir, and any
subdirectories of subdir, AND a backup of all the other directory objects on
C: as well. No way around that.

NOW for my quibble, which is with the use of this notation:
INCORRECT:
exclude c:\...\*.*

The include/exclude statements are doing a pattern match against the long
file name.
If you use the notation "*.*", the include/exclude statement will NOT match
any files that do not have a "." in the name.  There aren't a lot, but you
will find some files in window with no suffix.  I have NEVER seen a case in
a real TSM site where the use of this notation was correct, or getting  the
intended results.

The correct notation is c:\...\*

the \ ...\ is a wildcard for any number of subdirectories (including 0
subdirectories), and the * is a pattern match for any number of characters,
so it always works.

Unfortunately the incorrect use of c:\...\*.* persisted in the client manual
for a long time,  but it was an artifact leftover from prehistoric windows
versions, before windows used long file names.  And of course, it still
persists in web-space (and probably will persist long after we're dead
because of that!).  But it's still incorrect.