ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Linux - library and tape devices for TSM

2009-07-21 22:27:59
Subject: [ADSM-L] Linux - library and tape devices for TSM
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:26:52 -0700
Hello all,
I am struggling a bit trying to find a way to see tape and library devices as
easily as you can in AIX so I can add a library and drives to a TSM instance
I'm trying to get up on Linux. On the Linux  box I built I loaded, Redhat5, TSM
6.1.1.1 and the IBM drivers and it looks like that went ok. EMC has been little
help so far and I'm quite disappointed in the knowledge transfer so far in
getting this VTL up and running on TSM.

We defined IBM LTO3 drives in the library on the VTL. I have looked at a few
logs I've found and I think I see everything discovered as it  should.
/proc/scsi/scsi shows LUN's for the Library and drives on 2 seperate cards. The
2 fiber cards have the library and 10 drives on one port and the other port has
10 drives. I can't however figure out the path to these devices the same way
AIX gives them to you with the lsdev command. I don't know if documentation is
scarce or if I'm just looking inthe wrong places. in /dev I see some IBMtape
files and a changer file but not an IBMchanger file.Maybe that's because I'm
not suposed to with this scsi library but again, I can't tell.

Is there anyone running Linux with  a VTL or other similar library that can
help me with some commands, logs to look at, library and tape path definitions
or any other things to look at that might help me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Geoff Gill