ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] VSS: Unexpected error calling routine MoveFileExW on Win2k3 Client

2009-07-14 13:11:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] VSS: Unexpected error calling routine MoveFileExW on Win2k3 Client
From: Timothy Hughes <Timothy.Hughes AT OIT.STATE.NJ DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 13:10:04 -0400
"If this is a systemstate backup error, it's not surprising. Even with all the MS patches on, and with VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS showing no error, you'll
occasionally have issues with VSS doing system state backups."

Yeah, I agree with Wanda a couple of months ago, we were having systemstate backup errors with MS patches and upgraded some from 5.5.0 then>> 5.5.1 then >> 5.5.1.10 to 5.5.1.16. It didn't help until Tivoli recommended we upgrade to client 5.5.2 that seemed to solve the issue and even now occasionally NOT often we still have VSS errors from time to time.

VSS can be a pain

If this is a systemstate backup error, it's not surprising.  Even with all
the MS patches on, and with VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS showing no error, you'll
occasionally have issues with VSS doing system state backups.
It will either clear up on its own, or you'll have to schedule a reboot to
make it go away.

OTOH, do you have TSM Open File Support enabled on teh Win2K3 client?  And
are you using it for something in particular?

I tell my customers NOT to enable Open File support on Windows except in
very rare cases.

Open File Support does not give you valid backups of most Windows locked
files (like SQL DB's, for example).  The only time you should use it, is if
you have a particular application that you know you can get valid backups
with Open File Support, and no other way.  And the reason to have it turned
off, is that if it is enabled you tend to get bogus errors like this from
it.

"VSS is like a Nose, sometimes it Runs, sometimes it Blows" -- me

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Markus Engelhard <